Saturday, August 30, 2003



Is there Romance in Harry's future?


Sorry for the errors that were previously on this page. I keep trying to fix the grammar and spelling and it keeps reverting to the original draft.

As Harry Potter finishes his fifth year at Hogwarts, he has already begun to ponder the conundrum that is girls. His first crush on Cho proves to be based on little more than looks and Quidditch. While he first finds it easier to talk to her, things go down hill from there. Cho is still upset about Cedric's death, and Cedric is the one topic Harry is not keen to discuss. Unable to understand Cho, Harry finds himself avoiding her more and more.
By the end of Book 5, I am not certain that Harry even wants to date anymore. He is still confused by the whole Cho fiasco, but over it enough that he is secure with her dating Michael Corner. Harry has been through so much and has much more he still has to deal with. Right now, dealing with the opposite sex is more complicated than it's worth. In Book 6, Harry will still have to face Voldemort, prepare to be an auror, and continue to deal with more death. Does he really have any time for...girls?

To tell the truth, I am not convinced that anyone in the books is right for Harry right now. However, as Harry turns 16 his hormones may have a larger say. If this is the case, there are only two girls I see as even having a chance. They are Ginny Weasley and Luna Lovegood. That's right, I am not even considering Hermione Granger in the mix. I am also not considering Cho at this point in time.

I am going to examine each possiblity separately before reaching a conclusion. It is possible that Harry may continue to choose not to date, go back to Cho, or meet someone that fits him better. For now, let's just examine Ginny and Luna.

Ginny

"Famous Harry Potter," said Malfoy. "Can't even go into a bookshop without making the front page."
"Leave him alone, he didn't want all that!" said Ginny. It was the first time she had spoken in front of Harry. She was glaring at Malfoy.
"Potter, you've got yourself a girlfriend!" drawled Malfoy.
(Book II, 61)


In the first three books, there is no doubt that Ginny has a crush on Harry. She barely speaks when he is the room. She even annoys Ron by talking about him all through the summer. In Book 2, Ginny's first words are of understanding. Without Harry having to tell her, she knows that Harry doesn't want fame. I believe this is important, because Harry needs a girl who can understand him at least on this level. Later on in the book, Harry saves Ginny's life. She is a background character in Harry's life which is why it may take the audience a long time to realize that there is something wrong with her and to consider her a suspect. In Book 3, Ginny is basicaly non-existent. Yet, when Ginny returns in Book 4, her attachment to Harry seems to waiver. She is forced to turn Harry down when Ron says they should go to the Yule Ball together, because she already has agreed to go with Neville. Though she is annoyed about this at first,...

"I can't," said Ginny and she went scarlet too. "I'm going with - Neville. He asked me when Hermione said no, and I thought... well... I'm not going to be able to go otherwise, I'm not in the fourth year." She looked extremely miserable. "I think I'll go and have dinner," she said, and she got up and walked off to the portrait hole, her head bowed.
(Book IV, 401)


...we learn that she starts dating Michael Corner at the Yule Ball. Perhaps, the invitation to go with Harry made her think about what was attainable and what was not. Whatever the reason, when Book 5 begins Ginny has completely separated her actions from the crush. She can talk freely in front of Harry, and moves from a background character to forefront character. Harry learns that she is a strong witch and able to now hold her own when fighting against evil.

In short, Ginny decided that it didn't do to dwell on dreams and forget to live. She decided to go out and live and just let things be. She still likes Harry, but she's learned to move on. By the end of book 5 she is dating Dean Thomas. She doesn't hold herself down to one guy, and there is once again hope that maybe she will date Harry. Why? Because now that she is strong, has a front role in Harry's mind, and doesn't only tie herself to one person, she is a suitable girlfriend for Harry. What's more, Harry now sees parts of Ginny he has never seen before. She talks! She laughs! She fights! In reality, there are not many hints in the books that these two will decide to come together. Not in actions anyways. (Unless you count Ron hinting that he would approve of the match.)
Yet, Ginny does seem a good match for Harry now. She understands him deeper as she herself has been through a lot (including possession by Voldemort and fighting deatheaters). Now that Ginny is her own person, the pairing would be spectacular. Both are strong, powerful, caring, and determined individuals.

As a side point, Ginny does look a lot like Lily.


Luna

To many people, the pairing of Luna and Harry seems the obvious choice. When I mention this to other people they look at me as if I am crazy. "Harry and Luna? No way!" I personaly believe that there is a chance that these two will hook up. However, it might take Harry a while to accept that he likes her (if indeed he does). After all, this is Loony Lovegood I am talking about here.

"You went to the Yule Ball with Padma Patil," said a vague voice.
"Yeah, I know I did," he said, looking mildly surprised.
"She didn't enjoy it very much," Luna informed him. "She doesn't think you treated her very well, because you wouldn't dance with her. I don't think I'd have minded," she added thoughtfully, "I don't like dancing very much."
Book Five


In the first meeting with Luna Lovegood, there are not sparks flying in Harry's mind. If anything he is disturbed by the strange girl that reads tabloids upside down. Luna makes it clear that she noticed Harry, but doesn't necessarily give any signs that she likes him. In fact, her actions seem to be of studying someone and processing the information like a computer. In the lines above, Luna may sound as if she is flirting, but I think it is more likely that she is simply saying what she thinks as she processes all information. She is stating little more than facts.

Yet, the facts are interesting in this case. Luna does not like to dance. Harry definitely has not shown a dancing enthusiasm. Luna is judged and stared at by fellow students. Harry is judged and stared at by fellow students. Both are seen as liars, both are often telling the truth. Yes, even though half of what Luna says is insane, there lies some truth in most of it. For instance, she really could see the thestrals.

These similarities form a bond between Luna and Harry. They are both misunderstood, but they are both kind, courageous, and intelligent individuals. As the book progresses we see these themes continue to play out. The ideas of trust and denial, truth and lies, are struggles for Harry. Luna is quick to stand up for him and quick to want to help him. She helps even when helping puts her in danger. Harry may not want her assistance, but in the end he does need it. (Notice that Ginny also does the same thing, and Harry's reactions are similar. They are just more pronounced with Luna). When the book ends, Harry meets with Luna. She alone offers him the words of comfort that Nearly Headless Nick and the two-way mirror could not offer him.

"I still feel very sad about it sometimes. But I've still got Dad. And anyway, it's not as though I'll never see Mum again, is it?"
"Er - it isn't?" said Harry uncertainly.
She shook her head in disbelief. "Oh, come on. You heard them, just behind the veil, didn't you?"
"You mean..."
"In that room with the archway. They were just lurking out of sight, that's all. You heard them."
They looked at each other. Luna was smiling slightly. Harry did not know what to say, or to think. Luna believed so many extraordinary things... yet he had been sure he had heard voices behind the veil too..."
"Are you sure you don't want me to help you look for your stuff?" he said.
"Oh no," said Luna. "No, I think I'll just go down and have some pudding and wait for it all to turn up...It always does in the end. ...Well, have a nice holiday, Harry."
"Yeah...Yeah, you too."
She walked away from him, and as he watched her go, he found that the terrible weight in his stomach seemed to have lessened slightly.
Book V, 863-864


Luna understands Harry on a rare level for a 14-year-old. She knows what it is like to lose someone. Yet, she also knows that all hope is not lost. They will see their loved ones again in the afterlife. After all, "death is but the next great adventure." I believe that Harry and Luna would make a good couple. They have such similar lives and similar backgrounds that they could build each other up where no other person could.

Conclusion

If I were to have to pick between Ginny and Luna on who Harry would end up with, I would have to go with Ginny. Why? Doesn't all of the evidence points more to Luna? Here's the thing: I think that Luna is a wonderful character and a great choice for Harry. I also think that Luna represents faith (a paper I will save for later). I also think that with everything that Luna is, she will not survive the books. I could be wrong, she might live. If she does, than she is a good choice for Harry. Yet, I think she will die. I have no evidence, only intuition. I hope I am wrong. To be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if it was Ginny or Luna that Harry ends up with. Their both great candidates.

Update: I'm unhappy in general with this post. I will probably rewrite it soon. I'm not so sure Luna will die, and I still think she would make a great match for Harry.