Thursday, June 24, 2004

Book Three Reading Continues
(As Do My Movie Rants)


So I'm still reading book three and compiling an ever growing list of questions. I'm a bit confused by the conversation between Snape and Lupin after Snape discovers the Marauder's Map. It's unclear whether Snape knows that Mooney, Padfoot, Prongs, and Wormtail and the nicknames of the four friends that tormented him as a child. For instance Snape knows to contact Lupin the second that he sees the map, but he isn't able to argue that it must have been the four friends that created it based on the nicknames. Perhaps he just recognized the tone of voice? If Snape knew the nicknames this would be a good hint to the animagus lives of three of the friends (he obviously knew about Lupin's werewolf persona, but not necessarily about the others). So yeah, this isn't a thought out idea or anything and I'm not even listing page numbers to cite my information yet, but I just thought I would bring it up. Something seems to be going on in this scene that I can't quite grasp my hands on.

Update: Thanks to Minerva who pointed out that the nicknames were used openly in book five. Therefore something must not be jiving somewhere.

*MOVIE SPOILERS BELOW*

Since I'm talkign about the Marauders I would also like to take this opportunity to point out one of the scenes I thought the movie completely destroyed. The shrieking shack scene was completely different from the book. I understand movies have to change things to fit the film world, but in doing so a movie should still hold the spirit fo the book. Harry's expliliarmus (can't spell today) curse attacking Snape like that? Give me a break! Harry is a powerful wizard, but I don't think he is quite to that level yet.

I really enjoyed the book more. When Hermione, Ron, and Harry all say it together and end up accidently attacking Snape. It showed so much of what the three stand for and how well they can work together. It also helped bring Hermione more out of her cocoon (of which happens throughout the book) when she realizes she's attacked a teacher. It's really a brilliant scene in the book. The movie lacked explinations which left non-book readers out of the loop. It never even tied together the makers of the map with Harry's dads friends. I don't know, this is a dark scene in the book but I don't think it was as dark as the movie made it. That goes for the whole book actually.

Book three does begin along a dark path, but it retains enchantment that I still feel the movie lacked. In this movie's ending we missed so much that made things enchanting and a wonder to re-live again and again. What happened to all the development on Snape at the end? I don't know, it just was lacking. I'm just still devistated that at what Cuaron did to the books. I know many like it, including Rowling, but to me it just isn't Harry Potter. I also remember reading on Mugglenet.com that Cuaron convinced the movie four director to make only one movie. Another reason to be furious in my book! I'll stop complaining now.