Friday, June 18, 2004

MIYA!


Hey all! I just found an apartment! Yay, I'm happy. Now if only I could find a reasonable job. I've been reading Harry Potter in Spanish. I need something to entertain myself anyways. I'm almost done with the third book, and there are still some questions that never got answered. I'm sure I'll post them eventually.

I'm still working on the centaur post as well. While many of the creatures in the books bring up the idea of racial inequality and injustice, the centaurs bring more depth to the conflicts between wizarding kind and the creatures it tries to control. For instance, how did wizards appropriate land? How can wizards expect non-wizards to follow their laws? These are questions that show up in our own history many times over. In the United States, native americans were kicked off their lands and forced into reservations. This caused a lot of anger and resentment against the Europeans. Of course, such a history is not known only in the United States. Nearly all of America (north and south) had to deal with colonization as did other countries and whole continents.

For these reasons, I think it is important for us to examine the centaurs. So stay tuned!