Saturday, November 20, 2004

Severus Snape and the Death Eater Theory

One of the first posts for this site was one on Severus Snape and what he was doing for the Order of the Pheonix. Of course I wrote this post after only one read through of the fifth book, but I still stand by most of what was said in the post. However, I have recieved numerous comments on the suggestion that my hypothesis may be incorrect on to whom Voldermort was referring in the fourth book when he addressed the circle of Death Eaters. Some point to Rowling's vagueness in Voldemort's statement as a strong possibility that Snape was there and "loyal" to Voldemort.

(Quote to be inserted here when I unpack my books)

Let me just say that I did cover that base in saying I was only 87% sure that Voldemort was referring to Snape as the one who left forever, so I did allow that Rowling had made it vague and that we may not know the true identities yet. However, I still stand by my original hypothesis at 87% as I will show evidence of throughout the week. I could always be wrong, of course, but I stand by that Snape is NOT a "loyal" Death Eater. If he was in the circle, it was as a spy. In fact, I would go so far as to say that if Snape is a "loyal" Death Eater than Rowling is going to have to do a lot of work to cover all of her bases and the story will lose believability in my eyes if she fails to do so. Perhaps this is a bit egotistical of me, but I still stand by what I have just said.

This is not to say that Snape was not in the circle as a spy, though I put that possibility at a measley 35% as I believe that evidence points the other direction.

That being said, I must go unpack my house and rescue my Harry Potter books. Keep checking the site this week as I will do a number of short posts debunking the "loyal" Death Eater theory.

Can't Wait? Visit the forums to discuss your own ideas.