Friday, November 05, 2004

Wisdom

I finally wrote Lily's post, so look down a bit to find it.

In light of the election results, I thought now would be a good time to post this prayer again. Maybe if we each take it to heart we can help make this world a little brighter. It is easy to get lost in despair with so much wrong in the world, but we have to remember not to depend on our leaders to change everything. We have to do our part to change things. The wisdom that St. Francis offers us is the reason and faith needed to look beyond the darkest parts of the world to the parts that are good. And that good comes when we help each other out and refuse to let all the evil bring us down. I have a hard time taking this to heart myself, but may this prayer remind me that I must.


The Prayer of St. Francis

Lord, make me an instrument of thy peace;
Where there is hate that I may bring love,
Where there is offence that I may bring pardon,
Where there is discord that I may bring union,
Where there is error that I may bring truth,
Where there is doubt that I may bring faith,
Where there is despair that I may bring hope,
Where there is darkness that I may bring light,
Where there is sadness that I may bring joy.

O Master, make me not so much to be consoled as to console;
not so much to be loved as to love;
not so much to be understood as to understand;
for it is in giving that one receives;
it is in self-forgetfulness that one finds;
it is in pardoning that one is pardoned;
it is in dying that one finds eternal life."

-St. Francis of Assisi.