Wednesday, January 05, 2005

Book Review: Speak


My sister convinced me to read a young adult book called Speak. It was a short read with a transparent plot, but it was a well told story with true characters. I have to say that I was impressed enough to rush to Amazon and order the other two books by Laurie Halse Anderson. My goal in life is to write about characters that are as realistic. There is nothing like a good book where the main character is as a good friend.

I also appreciated that the book wasn't sappy. The book deals with teen issues that are always treated with a touch of unreality. I'm happy to say that Speak does no such thing. It recognizes the seriousness of its message, but allows the reader to understand that seriousness slowly as we grow to understand the psyche of the girl affected.

I really don't have that much more to say about the book, guess you will just have to read it for yourselves! It's a good read while we all wait for HP6!